Who's Online
11 registered (DougN, ZM3L8R, hammer553, Eric Pugh, sbook, Jurek, Sarlouis107, gunhunter, 3 invisible), 10 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1691737 - 11/10/20 08:21 PM Backup Gun (BUG) Match Organizer
doot Offline
Beginner Shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Fairfax
Follow all local COVID-19 ordinances!

Hey guys. There's a noticeable lack of Backup Gun matches in VA! So, I figured I'd try to organize one of my own. Any feedback, ideas, suggestions, or information is not only welcomed but actively sought after. Anyways, here's the breakdown for now:

DA RULEZ
1. Have Fun! The BUG Match is not a very serious competition and is widely open to beginners... myself included... because the point is to learn to use our carry guns better.
2. Guns must be small enough to fit into a 5.25″ x 7″ box with a magazine inserted (smaller than a Glock 19).
3. Score = Points - Time. A-zone hits on USPSA targets are 7 points; anywhere else is 3. Hitting a steel target is 5. So, if you get three A-zone hits, one C, and hit two steel targets, and that takes you 12 seconds, your final score is 22.
4. Safety violation = instant ban from all present and future BUG matches.

What you need:
Eye and ear protection
A gun fitting the above requirements (no caliber restrictions!)
~50 rounds of ammunition
A spare mag/speedloader/moon clip
A good attitude!

In this match, negative scores are pretty common with new shooters (like me) so don't feel discouraged if you get one.

The trouble for me is the venue. I can build target stands and buy USPSA targets but I don't know where to set this up. Any suggestions are welcome- the closest free range to me is Hite Hollow at an hour away.

#1719424 - 01/26/21 12:28 PM Re: Backup Gun (BUG) Match Organizer [Re: doot]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
I have never competed in shooting and this sounds like a great way to get involved. I have no idea where to do it, but I do live in Staunton if this starts to come to fruition and you need help organizing.

#1719648 - 01/26/21 08:54 PM Re: Backup Gun (BUG) Match Organizer [Re: doot]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Check RRPC site, the have IDPA and IDPA BUG matches...
IIRC, they allow you to shoot matches without being a RRPC member...also believe you are required to join IDPA if you plan to shoot more than one/two matches to try it out.

During the summer months there are Pin matches in Louisa the info is usually posted on this site.

Also, check out Hite Hollow and ranges on the WV side

There is also a Issac Walton League further south that host matches...

Use the IDPA qualifier and use it while you dry fire at home.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1721695 - 01/31/21 12:07 PM Re: Backup Gun (BUG) Match Organizer [Re: doot]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
Great stuff. Thank you.