Who's Online
9 registered (Safegun, vafred, Deepsearn, unreel, LordHobo, GE_Minigun, longeye, hokieskins, 1 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1900383 - 06/22/22 12:43 PM Best self defense weapons for women
Salsa_queen Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Arlington
City or County: Arlington
New poster here, I am single woman and I am learning about self protection. I am thinking of a small gun and something larger for home protection. I live in a sfh in the suburbs with a small dog.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Salsa Queen

#1900402 - 06/22/22 01:57 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
Abeygunz Offline
Have gun will travel

Loc: Hampton roads
City or County: Newport News
I think you should go in to a gun store and put a few pistols in your hand and see what feels right for you. After you get a good idea of what you may like take a gun safety class, preferably at a range that rents pistols so you can shoot some and see if you like how the pistol feels for you. If you intend to just have in the home pistols 4-5 inch barrel are ideal but if intend to conceal carry smaller may be better. Remember the smaller the pistol the more practice you will need to be proficient with it. Good luck.

#1900449 - 06/22/22 05:08 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192

Sig 938 and 238 S&W EZ and a few other semi-auto pistols have easy to operate slides

http://sharpshootersindoorrange.net/ Has an indoor range and gun rental

https://www.eliteshootingsports.com/ has a Wednesday ladies night. Also an indoor range

#1900450 - 06/22/22 05:11 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
be5 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: Fairfax County, VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
Originally Posted By: Salsa_queen
New poster here, I am single woman and I am learning about self protection. I am thinking of a small gun and something larger for home protection. I live in a sfh in the suburbs with a small dog.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Salsa Queen

Some resources for you to read and watch

Edited by be5 (06/22/22 05:13 PM)

Use Signal https://www.signal.org
Have for trade: Modlite heads, Beretta M9A4
Want: 55gr 5.56 & 9mm, 1-8x LPVO, LCR-22, Glock 48
NO: PSA,Anderson,Canik,Springfield,Taurus

#1900451 - 06/22/22 05:17 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
be5 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: Fairfax County, VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
Training Resources

Weapons

Edited by be5 (06/22/22 05:19 PM)

Use Signal https://www.signal.org
Have for trade: Modlite heads, Beretta M9A4
Want: 55gr 5.56 & 9mm, 1-8x LPVO, LCR-22, Glock 48
NO: PSA,Anderson,Canik,Springfield,Taurus

#1900562 - 06/22/22 11:02 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
Salsa_queen Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Arlington
City or County: Arlington
Thank you all, gracias. I will check out all the links.

Also, I went to this website-https://thewellarmedwoman.com and did some research. They had ladies groups so I may join one just to meet people that want to prepare for the future.

As far as general shtf plan, I am installing Arlo cameras, I bought lots of stuff from mypatriotsupply.com and I am making an effort to meet like minded thinkers.

Muchas gracias compadres.

#1904907 - 07/06/22 01:12 AM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
A NASCAR crewman once told me, "If your driver ain't comfortable with the car, he ain't gonna win the race."

The same is true of a handgun. About any gun will shoot for you and maybe even score high on targets but if you aren't at-ease with it, using it during a time of extreme stress, it may prove to be less than satisfactory.
Try them all. You may wind up buying more than one. It must feel "right", operate by instinct (habit) and hit where you point it.
Most shooters will welcome you to "try mine."

Edited by bustedknee (07/06/22 01:15 AM)

#1904949 - 07/06/22 07:41 AM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
Wrecker Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: Ashburn
Regarding a small gun you should go to any reputable range that rents, and try as many as you can. I would personally recommend the Sig P365 or P365XL, but it is purely a preference thing.

However, regarding your primary home defense weapon you should absolutely invest in an AR-15 style rifle. It is the easiest to use & most effective tool if you were involved in a home invasion. This should be followed up shortly with ammunition & training. Good luck!

#1926026 - 09/03/22 08:18 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
An old adage comes to mind "you are the weapon, everything else is just a tool."

Situational awareness!!!

Youtube> Active self protection women.

Motion sensing lights/camera w/alerts.
Reinforced door frames, longer dead bolt and hinge screws, lamented glass.
Can't recommend a firearm without knowing more.

However, a larger version of the compact gun you choose might be best.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1930677 - 09/17/22 04:03 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
Domonicm Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Alexandria NOVA
City or County: Alexandria
Having Just gone through first basic shooting steps for my Boss,(mature female), Last week I can relay some first experience. Perceived recoil is always a problem. Lady also has some shoulder problems
Starting with a .22 browning buckmark ( accurate railed weighty pistol), within 10 minutes of grip, grip hold and eye alignment guidance (iron sighs), she was shooting bulls eye groups at 5 yards. ( long fingernails are not the most practical tools unless used as a weapon)
Moved next to 38 spl pocket revolver (short barrel), single/ double action one shot, perceived recoil was to violent. S&W model 60
Next 9mm pocket pistol (Bersa) short barrel, but a little beefier than the sigs and does. Not flip as much, one shot, perceived recoil still too much.
Next 9mm pistol (my heavy weighted competition style pistol), one shot perceived recoil was too much.
Next 380 Bersa, similar to the 9mm enough of a grip to get a firm hold on the gun, we have a winner. Mild recoil perception, and with enough mass to get a firm grip and easy to pull the slide. (380 Bullet size is much same as 9mm and a lot of women prefer)

So as my friends above advise their are a lot of variables to start with, but just because you can hold the gun does not mean you will like it. It depends on your physical ability as well as mental agility, so start low and Learn the basics and build from there. As noted above Elite and a few other centers has some good learning classes and practice is always advised, but play safe. You are not alone we have lots of members and great people on this forum, Have fun

#1930777 - 09/17/22 09:12 PM Re: Best self defense weapons for women [Re: Salsa_queen]
JustOneMore754 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Haymarket
City or County: Prince William
Basically I’ll second Lazer Jock’s post. I highly recommend going to a rental range and trying a few things out (Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn is also a good choice). The Sig 238 is what my wife and I both carry for a few reasons:
- Small enough to conceal in just about anything
- .380 means it’ll have minimal recoil
- Physical safety

Home defense / open carry: Glock 19 or a Sig 320 are good places to start, but really try a few different things and see what ergonomics work best for you!

Side note my wife loves these leggings wether or not she’s carrying (they have belt loops and pockets) https://vakandiapparel.com/

I can always be tempted by:
- SPAS-12 with a folding stock
- Shooter grade Luger
- Schofield reproduction
- S&W 586 with a 4” barrel