Who's Online
14 registered (JamesChang, Jaycobb, Agiads, kjack, Too, pit, et63, harley, Broadside, 28PercentAPRMustang, 4 invisible), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#2016934 - 06/10/23 02:18 AM Public Hunting
Downhillshot Offline
Marksman

Loc: Mechanicsville
City or County: Hanover
Where are some decent places to go hunting (deer, elk, bear, etc) that are say within an hour or two of Richmond? Don't need stellar. And would prefer the ability to not be sitting in a tree.

#2018228 - 06/14/23 12:48 PM Re: Public Hunting [Re: Downhillshot]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
Your best bet for deer nearby would be AP Hill or whatever they call it now.

As far as elk go there is a special season in a couple western counties but you have to enter a lottery to get a chance at being drawn. They only issue 5 tags and lottery is over for the '23 season.

Bear are just about everywhere from what I hear. During deer season I got almost as many bear pics on my trail cam as I did deer.

#2028354 - 07/17/23 07:28 AM Re: Public Hunting [Re: Downhillshot]
vatopa Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia beach
City or County: virginia beach
A million acres of the Washington/Jefferson national forest is just west of you about an hour or two.

I hunted there many years ago, got lots of deer, bears, turkeys.

Google Maple Flat Pond. This is the area I hunted. It is the bottom of the mountain so it is fairly flat. Yet across the coal road is straight up.

#2073870 - 12/08/23 11:23 PM Re: Public Hunting [Re: Downhillshot]
Downhillshot Offline
Marksman

Loc: Mechanicsville
City or County: Hanover
Ended up spending a decent amount of time out in the Powhatan WMA. Never came across any bucks and of course saw all the does I could ever want to take on all the days not allowed.
Hope all that went out had fun and lots of success.