Who's Online
3 registered (Boyles, GrantG, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#974994 - 11/27/15 09:48 PM Spotting Fake Or Counterfeit Optics Buyer Beware
Halligan Offline
Take a look it's in a book reading revolvers.

Loc: Powhatan
City or County: Powhatan
Spotting fake or counterfeit optics:

How to spot fakes:
Just be aware! Some sellers will catch your attention. Read the item descriptions carefully, to search for tell-tale phrases like "Inspired By" or "Replica". These alert you to the fact that the merchandise isn't AUTHENTIC. But still may gives seller protection from trademark infringement. Of course this only works if the seller is somewhat honest. Individuals who may have bought a fake may now be trying to recover their losses by trying to decisive others. If the price seems too good to be true it probably is!

Chances are, if the price of that optic seems just too good to be true, it probably is. If you're looking at brand name optic, at a ridiculously cheap price. Then they are more than likely fakes or replicas. A genuine product cost money for a Manufacture to make, and more money for a retailer to buy and resell. A legitimate retailer can NOT stay in business, if they are selling the real thing at 85% off the retail price. Always buy from a Trusted Seller! Check there (FEEDBACK)! And know you are getting a decent price, on a brand name product. Feedback is key. VaGuntrader has a feeback system while is it not perfect it is a great way to avoid potential issues. Members should be "of their word" being upfront and honest about a item. If the item is not genuine then the poster should list it as such.

What To Look For:
Workmanship: Look at the quality of the glass. Most fakes are made of cheaper materials. That will feel lighter than premium originals. Compare photos to Manufactures photos. If they are not similar, this could indicate a fake. It could be something as simple as the logo upside down like the Magpul logo upside down.

Logo / Markings: Look carefully at the logos, logo quality. Fakes will usually have different fonts or sizes in writing. Look at the difference in the logo or lettering form one side to the other. Check papers and fabric tags. If they are made of cheaper lightweight materials, that a sing they may not be Authentic. Packaging: Optics sold unpackaged, or in unmarked plastic / felt sleeves. Are a sure sign of knock-off’s. Many people save the original packaging to prove later that the item is original. Optic Markings: Many manufactures use specific markings that knock-offs do not bother with. For example Trijicon places bible verses on their products. This info should be correct. Model #: Make sure the manufacture make that model number. Knock-off’s tend to have numbers that are NOT listed by the manufacture.
Here are some links to manufacture pages that gives specifics on their brands.

Aimpoint: http://us.aimpoint.com/support/counterfeitcopies/

EOTech: http://www.eotechinc.com/counterfeit-alert-how-to-spot-a-fake

Trijijcon: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/product_authenticity.php

Leupold: https://www.leupold.com/resources/counterfeit-warning/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a work in progress if you have other manufactures pages please let me know and I will make changes. PM me to avoid clutter on the post.

Edited by Halligan (11/27/15 10:12 PM)

#975484 - 11/29/15 09:04 AM Re: Spotting Fake Or Counterfeit Optics Buyer Beware [Re: Halligan]
Halligan Offline

Aimpoint Section:

The most common and some of the best forgerys have a few things to look for:

1. "Aimpoint" will be written in white on the side of the sight and on the flip covers.

A real Aimpoint will have the logo laser inscribed (NOT STAMPED) and then anodized over in black. Some fakes have the logo stamped in and then painted over in black.

Real Aimpoint flip covers are raised lettering out of the black plastic itself. They will also just feel better.

2. The fake has the markings "Comp M2 4 MOA". Below that on the sight it will have an incorrect part number "10338". They also all have the same serial number "240944". 10338 is the part number for a Comp ML2

Look at Aimpoints website for comparison if you have questions. The location of the battery compartment changes the model number. Know what you should be looking for in the first place.

3. On fakes the windage and elevation adjustments look like small sheet metal screws. They will also not usually sit as flush and clean as a real Aimpoint.

A real Aimpoint will have adjustment screws with slots for an adjustment tool cut all the way across the top of the screw spanning the entire inside diameter of the adjustment turret. Assuming you have the on/off switch at the two o'clock position for a right handed shooter, the top turret adjustment screw for elevation will be marked "UP-L" and the windage turret adjustment screw on the right side will be marked "UP-R". These markings will be on the screws not on the turret.

4. The on/off switch on the forgeries do not feel smooth. Some also keep rotating through the last position back to off.

Real Aimpoint sights have clean breaking and very distinguished indexing. ALL Comp M2, ML2, M3, ML3, Comp C3 and 9000 series sights have 10 positions including the off position. Night vision capable Aimpoints will have more, look up on Aimpoint how many settings your chosen optic should have. All Aimpoint switches stop at the last setting.

5. If it has "This product is designed for Training and Simulation use only" or references Air-Soft in any way it is a fake and not designed to be atop a real firearm.

6. Aimpoint DOES NOT and never has made a green dot.

7. Many people save the original packaging of their optic. Your chances of buying a fake go down if it has the original packaging and everything in is is correct.

I have heard people paying upwards of $250 for the forgeries. Don't let the price tag make you think it is a real Aimpoint.

Seeing (not pictures) and feeling is believing. Buying without putting your hands on it is not usually a good idea with Optics. Remember theses things can be $600+. Put your hands on them.

If you suspect you are looking at a fake you probably are. There are many Authorized Aimpoint Dealers to purchase new from if you have a concern. If you buy used (I have purchased a few used on in and been successful and without issue) DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Don't trust your life to a knock off. The reliability of the knock off's are very bad.

--------------------------------------------------------
I do not take credit for a large portion of this post. I am borrowing from around the internet to provide a collection of information to members here. If you have some fake Aimpoint pictures I would like to put them in this post. If you do drop me them via PM.

Edited by Halligan (11/29/15 09:23 AM)

#975502 - 11/29/15 09:45 AM Re: Spotting Fake Or Counterfeit Optics Buyer Beware [Re: Halligan]
Halligan Offline

EOTech Section:

EOTech has probebly been knocked-off more then the others. Probably because they are bigger in size then Aimpoint and Call of Duty maybe? EOTech has does a good job at addressing it by putting information out. A PDF of that can be found below.

http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/default/files/client/recognizing-counterfeit-sights_0.pdf

I can not stress enough how important it is to put your hands on these things. I have attached 5 pictures. The first 3 are FAKE and the last 2 are REAL. Turn these things on and really look them over.

--------------------------------------------------------
I do not take credit for a large portion of this post. I am borrowing from around the internet to provide a collection of information to members here.

Attachments
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg