Who's Online
18 registered (cantshoot, 315santiago, JeffreyVB, VA_SHAKA, jims59, 3dgeAlot, DT88, ken792, Blackfoot501, vabirddog261, Leper_Messiah, htc0, 6 invisible), 20 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1935488 - 10/01/22 04:54 PM Need an obstruction removed.
TheReluctantPrep Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Suffolk
So, I have a rifle with an obstruction....

Apparently, a bamboo dowel was used to try and clean a rifle I own. Anyway, the fact the dowel was shorter than barrel was not considered when this make shift rod was used. Resulting in patch and dowel being firmly stuck inside the barrel.

When came back to me, I tried tapping it out with a cleaning rod....but its good and jammed and I dont want to damaged the rifle.

I need a Gunsmith that can remove obstruction. I have emailed four different gunsmiths and gotten no response or....one that said, I dont know when I could get to it.

Can someone point me to a good gun smith that will actually be interested in helping me.

Close to Va Beach would be a plus, but at this point I will travel a good distance.

#1940392 - 10/15/22 06:16 PM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
Domonicm Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Alexandria NOVA
City or County: Alexandria
Watch a few of these videos
https://youtu.be/0APH-XNu55I

If it’s just a patch you can try to dissolve it which will loosen the fibers and you can tap it out. Need to let it soak for a while

Lucky you just have fiber patch and wood which you can degrade
Next time use a snake wire pull

#1942065 - 10/21/22 09:12 AM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
Bcmgunfighter Offline
Not all ARs are created equal...

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Rochelle
Fortunately, as hard as bamboo can be, it certainly won’t damage steel. How much of the barrel does the bamboo take up? (Width, not length)
DD Lite Rail II 14

MY DO NOT DEAL LIST
smilewhenIshoot - “There is zero evidence of voter fraud”
Manwich23 - supports Chinese/US power grid
JiveBunny
Downhillshot
Alwaystrading
dcarms - ATF CUCK

#1952181 - 11/21/22 11:42 AM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: Bcmgunfighter]
TheReluctantPrep Offline
Pea shooter

Apparently the bamboo is most of the with, but a patch causing it to be stuck.

#1952448 - 11/22/22 12:25 AM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
Bcmgunfighter Offline

Personally, I would take an oak dowel that is very close in size to whatever caliber the weapon is… tap it through AGAINST THE PATCH.
DD Lite Rail II 14

MY DO NOT DEAL LIST
JiveBunny
Downhillshot
Alwaystrading
dcarms - ATF CUCK

#1955423 - 11/30/22 05:14 PM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
TheReluctantPrep Offline
Pea shooter

Yea, I am going to try. I hope that works. Not sure my next plan...

#1957636 - 12/06/22 10:06 PM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
What type of gun is it , what caliber?

#1959340 - 12/11/22 09:34 PM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
TheReluctantPrep Offline
Pea shooter

It is a 30-06
Remington 700
I got some advise offline as well and was able to remove the obstruction.
This is what I did. I used a flashlight and figured out the patch side of the obstruction. It was on the breach side.
I put the rifle in a rifle vice with the muzzle adjusted down.
I then added about twenty drops of Kroil oil down the breach side of the rifle barrel and waited.
Then I bought a couple dowels, wood, oak.
1/4 turned out to be the right size.
It was almost the size of the barrel but still had a little space for perhaps letting the patch stay while obstruction moved.
Then used the dowel and a hammer. After about 50 measured......hard taps I was very frustrated that nothing was happening. But, I thought to mark the dowel to see if it was moving....tapped about a dozen more times and saw it was moving very slowly. About two dozen more firm taps and it was freed!
I cleaned the Rifle and then looked a the rifling of the barrel and it looks factory perfect. I could not be happier.

Thanks to Bcmgunfighter and my friend offline for the great advice.

#1959342 - 12/11/22 09:35 PM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: Bcmgunfighter]
TheReluctantPrep Offline
Pea shooter

Bcmgunfighter

Thank You Brother

Edited by TheReluctantPrep (12/11/22 09:36 PM)
Edit Reason: Though was going to reply to a message above not at the end. Changed to reflect where in the thread it showed up and to make sense.

#1960607 - 12/15/22 07:00 PM Re: Need an obstruction removed. [Re: TheReluctantPrep]
Bcmgunfighter Offline

Well that is phenomenal news! Happy to help, brother!
Fun fact... bamboo is MUCH harder than oak. In this case though, with the bamboo being so thin, and of course hollow, the oak dowel wins.
I still can’t believe that someone thought that it was a good idea to try to use that thin cane as a cleaning rod shocked
DD Lite Rail II 14

MY DO NOT DEAL LIST
JiveBunny
Downhillshot
Alwaystrading
dcarms - ATF CUCK