Who's Online
9 registered (Ron_L, GreenArrow08, wdc757, 315santiago, RL15, Kevinlee93, guns85, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1109177 - 10/24/16 08:45 PM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: mascdm]
6watcher Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia - Spotsy
City or County: Fredericksburg
Deleted

Edited by 6watcher (10/24/16 08:51 PM)
Edit Reason: Deleted

#1224360 - 07/13/17 08:54 AM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: Mobjack118]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
Originally Posted By: Mobjack118
I think for purposes of the Federal Statute you are NOT a Virginia resident for legal purposes, even if you reside/live in Virginia. I also think that for purposes of Virginia state law you are not a legal resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia. You are legally the resident of the state where you are registered to vote and that issued your DL. I may be wrong, but were I you, I would consult a very knowledgeable attorney before I would purchase a handgun from a private individual in Virginia.

You can be a dual-state resident.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2010-6-state-residence/download

Quote:
ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179. Similarly, in ATF Ruling 80-21 (ATFB 1980-4, 25), ATF held that, during the time college students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an offcampus location, they are considered residents of the State where the on-campus or offcampus housing is located.

The issue is where you are sleeping. Not where you are registered to vote. IF you are sleeping in state A for a significant period (even a limited period) and that is your residence for that period, (such as a college student living in offcampus housing as above).

Have two addresses in two states does not qualify. You must actually reside in each of them for some significant period during the year, to the exclusion of the other.

However, to be very clear, you are NEVER a dual-state resident of two states AT THE SAME TIME. The term "dual state resident" is misleading. It should be "part year resident of 2 or more states." You cannot claim residency in two states simultaneously.

One test: If you are a part year resident of two states, and you have work income, do you file a tax return in each state as a part year resident? (Not every state requires a tax return to be filed, but many do). If not, then you are not a "dual state resident."

#1356569 - 05/24/18 11:04 AM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: VaGunTrader]
dnunn Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia
City or County: king william
What about selling a firearm to military personnel stationed in VA? Are they considered to be Va residents? And, is a copy of their military orders acceptable verfication?

Thanks

#1356609 - 05/24/18 12:54 PM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: VaGunTrader]
dnunn Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia
City or County: king william
Here's what I found on Va State Police website:

Military Personnel

Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia, including the Pentagon, are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun. Identification and residency are established by a military photo-identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense and proof that Virginia is the permanent duty station via current military assignment orders or the purchaser's Leave and Earnings Statement.

#1828399 - 11/28/21 04:44 PM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: VaGunTrader]
GoodCheer Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Indiana
City or County: White County
Greetings from the Indiana corn tundra.
Years ago I purchased some percussion revolvers and a muzzleloading rifle from guys who had listed them in the primitive weapons sections.
And I would do so again except that recently
(1) In one case I was told that the seller wanted to only sell to someone in Virginia.
(2) In another case it appears the seller thought a half stock side lock percussion rifle required a FFL transfer.

Oh well.
Be good and take care.

#1829630 - 12/02/21 08:08 AM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: GoodCheer]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
Originally Posted By: GoodCheer
Greetings from the Indiana corn tundra.
Years ago I purchased some percussion revolvers and a muzzleloading rifle from guys who had listed them in the primitive weapons sections.
And I would do so again except that recently
(1) In one case I was told that the seller wanted to only sell to someone in Virginia.
(2) In another case it appears the seller thought a half stock side lock percussion rifle required a FFL transfer.

Oh well.
Be good and take care.

Sucks when someone doesnt know the laws screws you out of a purchase and them out of a sale

#1831139 - 12/06/21 03:21 PM Re: Required ID for intrastate VA transactions [Re: VaGunTrader]
GoodCheer Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Indiana
City or County: White County
But they have their right to choose.
And I would have just burned black in it and got it all ugly and smudgy looking.
smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4